home || about me || tutorials || shop || my favorite blogs || home education

05 May 2010

Maren's Nursery

A couple of months before Maren turned one, we moved. Saying goodbye to our first home was hard, particularly because we had put so much work into making it 'just right'. Maren's nursery was one of my favorite rooms in the house. I love vintage style, with modern and classic touches. We had a fairly modest budget, and most of the decor was hand-me-down, which makes this room all the more fabulous.

We installed the white wainscoting. It was so much work, but we were glad we did it! Brett found the rocking chair at a garage sale for $5. He sanded it and spray-painted it red. The shelf on the wall was a hand-me-down and my aunt made the quilt for me when I was a baby. The little table came from TJ Maxx. We wanted somewhere to put a drink and a book for those long newborn evenings. Because of it's instability and some sharp corners, we moved it out of the room once Maren became mobile. The paper mache letters came from Michael's and were spray painted with leftover paint from the rocking chair. Curtains came from Target.

Another hand-me-down shelf that we painted. The vintage childrens books were all gifts or hand-me-downs. I had the mirror in my stash, and we spray painted it red. The flower are in glass baby bottles that were my mom's.


Brett's mom made Maren's crib bedding. I had long been admiring the reproduction 30's prints, so I knew that's what I wanted to use. She also made a twin-sized quilt that can be used as Maren grows.

A peg-rack that my grandpa made with a vintage hat of my grandma's and my diaper bag, made by my college roommate. (Thanks again, Em!)

I found this chandelier at a local antique market. The electrical didn't work, so I took all the wiring out and added candles. It was the final touch on the nursery, and one of my favorite things in the room.

This was an old lamp my mom gave me. I used my glue-gun to adhere vintage buttons. Those were my shoes when I was a baby!

I love all the nostalgic touches we were able to add to the room. When designing the nursery, I wanted to have touches that would be 'baby' like, but also things that could grow with Maren, and weren't exclusive to nursery decor. I've got some fun ideas to implement in the coming year as we add a twin bed or two, and some grown-up furniture. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment