home || about me || tutorials || shop || my favorite blogs || home education

19 May 2010

That explains alot

I grew up in a tidy house. My mom is one who cleans out closets every season, takes monthly trips to Goodwill, and does not have a junk drawer anywhere in the house. I would say a fair amount of her orderliness rubbed off on me. But I do have a junk drawer. Or three. I'm hoping this blog might help me in remedying that situation. We'll see.

Melissa at 320 Sycamore took me on a fabulous little walk down memory lane today by mentioning The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room. I loved that book! Now that I think of it, I wonder if perhaps my mom had an agenda when she brought that book into our house. I know I will have an agenda when I bring it home for my own daughter. Well, Melissa's post made me think of a poem by Shel Silverstein called Messy Room. Do you know the one? It's fabulous. I memorized it in 3rd grade for a speech meet competition. I might ascribe a bit of my current temperament to these two literary masterpieces. What early works were influential in molding you into the person you are today?

1 comment:

  1. So Kate, your mom sent an e-mail telling us of your blog and I had to check it out. As I was meandering through the history, I noticed the title of this one 'that explains alot.' Your mom uses this phrase often, so I read the post...ha...I distinctly remember the day I got a glimpse of your mom's front door closet. Incredulous, I gasped, 'Cindy! You even decorate your closets!' A few months later, I was craving a purge and invited your mom to help me with my closets. She was so gracious. Perhaps it's needless to say that while the Berenstain Bears were definitely family friends, I do not think my mother and I read Messy Room. -Megan

    ReplyDelete