home || about me || tutorials || shop || my favorite blogs || home education

25 October 2012

October in Michigan: part 2

We had grand plans to spend our last Saturday in Michigan cheering on cousin Paige at her soccer game and taking a family trip to the farm for some good ol' pumpkin hunting and other fall festivities. Sadly, we were greeted on Saturday morning by blustery winds and chilly rain. Maren had the privilege of having a sleepover with her cousins on Friday night. We altered our plans a bit, and still had a memorable day together. We met for donuts and coffee at Forest Hills Foods. What a fabulous grocery store! They had a wonderful little cafe area where we could sit and enjoy our morning. The dads sat with the kids while the moms enjoyed a separate table. We've got some great men in our family! (That's my dad and brother, Ben.)

The 2 boy cousins...Ben and Allison will even things out when they welcome another baby boy sometime in November. (Can't wait!) Truett is a little young to 'play' much with Will, but I hope these two will be good buddies sometime in the future.

Instead of going to the 'farm' we went to an indoor place called Koetsier's. It was a big greenhouse filled with fall activities. The kids had a blast. Maren loved the corn boxes. I'm pretty sure all of the kids went home with some extra corn tucked inside their clothes. :)

I'm so thankful for my Michigan family...Mom, me and Allison.

Do you think they were having fun? There was a maze the kids must have gone through a dozen times.

The three older kids enjoyed painting and glittering pumpkins. We convinced Maren that my parents really wanted a glittery pumpkin at their house...thank goodness we didn't have to carry this home on the plane!



I loved going to church with my mom and dad on Sunday. We don't always go to church when we're back in Michigan, so it was a treat to see people from my past. (We're often at the lake or visiting around the holidays when we get snowed-in!) I also spent some time one afternoon visiting a friend I grew up with who now lives right across the street from my parents. Our girls played while we caught up. Our dads grew up together, and so did we, so we've literally been friends since birth! (Sadly, I didn't take a picture with Carri!) I also neglected to take a picture during our time with my cousin, Jodi, and her family. But we enjoyed a quick visit with them as well. Josh and Jodi had just learned that their 4th baby, due in February, has a heart defect. It was shocking to hear of such a close family member who will be walking the road we walked with Truett. They've been heavy on my heart ever since. I'm so thankful I am able to pray for them and support them during this season. (Love you, Jodi!)

Three generations of girls!

We also spent an evening visiting my grandparents. Truett loves exploring new places. He only lasted about 2 minutes on Grandpa's lap, but I was thankful for this sweet picture.

Grandma and Grandpa lived on the beach in Florida for years, and my Grandma would walk the beach every morning collecting shells. She has a lovely, inspiring collection. Maren loved looking at all the shells, and was thrilled to choose a few to bring back to Colorado with us.

And with that, our trip to Michigan was complete!

I'm off to spend the remaining time with Maren away at school in my craft room. It snowed here last night (!) and I'm working hard getting ready for a little crafter's open house my friend and I are hosting. I'll share more about that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment