home || about me || tutorials || shop || my favorite blogs || home education

22 June 2010

Hanging Leaves Wall Art

For the longest time, I was at a loss for a creative, cheap (ideally, free!) solution for the looming space over the couch. It was autumn when I finally came up with this, and I clearly had leaves on the brain! I love the way it came out, but I do look forward to making a few modifications in the future.

I used a branch from a bunch-of-sticks-used-as-decoration in my house. Some of the leaves were torn and some were cut from my paper stash, and my husband donated the fishing line. Yes, this means the project was 100% free...my favorite kind!


I started by making a rough template of a leaf to follow when cutting or tearing the shapes. I did my best to gather a variety of textures, weights, and colors of paper.

When I had a decent stack of leaves to work with, I set the stick on the ground and arranged the leaves until I had a design I liked. I knew I wanted to have the leaves hang at various lengths, so I kept that in mind as I worked. Once I was pleased with the layout, I used my tiniest hole-punch to make holes for the fishing line. Each leaf got holes near both tips, with the exception being the last leaf in each column, which only got one hole. Next, I cut fishing line to the correct lengths, leaving an extra few inches for knotting and trimming.

I began by threading the bottom leaf (with only one hole) onto the line and securing it with a knot. I was careful not to tear through the leaf. Next, I thread the line through the holes of the remaining leaves on that column. I did not secure each leaf with knots. I found that if I bent them a bit, they stayed put on the fishing line without knots.

I love the way the piece looks on the wall, and I love the dimension of all the textures of the different leaves. Not bad for free artwork, right?

Stop by these lovely places for more DIY inspiration!

Visit thecsiproject.com
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!UndertheTableandDreaminggiveaways

16 comments:

  1. this is awesome! I love the way it looks against the wall...cool idea.

    Alyssa
    http://lifeoflyssie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like how this turned out! I saw a large hanging thing in our library kinda like this and was thinking how cool it would be to do something with the same feel at home but couldn't picture it until now. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautiful. I love the colors you chose and it looks perfect over the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cool idea! I love how it matches your pillows -- great color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever! I love the idea that the art "moves" and the branch adds such a nice texture. And you can't beat FREE! I love it! Hmmmmm...now where can I use this in my own house? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is super clever. The length of the branch is perfect for over the couch. The colors of the leaves are wonderful and the fishing line mays it look like they are falling. Lovely! Good Luck on the CSI Challenge. Following you now. Pam @ Sallygoodin

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so simple and perfect, I like how the colors match the colors on the couch. Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing, I might have to try this pretty, simple idea at home one day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous design! So graphic and stylish. What fun to even try different shapes for the time of year, like snowflakes, hearts, bats....if it was done right they would look wonderful using your basic technique. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What creative, frugal and natural wall art! I love it and if you don't mind, I plan to copy cat you. :) Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! i am impressed at how beautiful that turned out! i need to go find a branch...

    i am your newest follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, Love this idea - Fabulous wall art! So creative and I love that its nature inspired. I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks for joining the Sunday Showcase! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome idea and implementation. I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, wow! this would be so fun in my son's forest themed nursery!
    i've included this idea in my weekly roundup of inspiration, blogged here:
    http://www.camilledawn.com/2010/06/tuesday-tumblr-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all you did - I also wanted to let you know I blogged about Nursery Wall Art
    features a large selection of Nursery and Children’s Wall Art, with over 1000 different items by over 36 different designers!

    ReplyDelete